Here’s a bright and colorful and flavorful side dish that goes equally well with a slow-roasted beef tenderloin, a rack of lamb or a fillet of black cod. It’s also a snap to make and looks great on a festive table.
Broccolini with Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 bunches broccolini (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup orange juice (preferrably fresh-squeezed)
- 2 teaspoons honey Aleppo pepper*
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Trim the broccolini and steam until done to your preferred level of softness/hardness. This is truly a personal preference.
- Meanwhile, place OJ and honey Aleppo pepper in a small pot and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and reduce the mixture by half. This will take about 10 minutes. Turn off heat, put a lid on it and reserve until broccolini is ready to serve.
- Remove broccolini from steamer and toss with the reserved OJ mixture. Place on a platter with all the broccolini stalks facing in the same direction (if you like a tidy appearance!). Top with an artfully thick row of pomegranate seeds. OR for a more casual appearance, scatter the broccolini willy-nilly on the platter and do the same with the pomegranate seeds. Either way, it will taste delicious!